Form: Claim a tax refund if you’ve stopped work and flexibly accessed your pension

Updated: The print and post form has been updated to replace references to Universal Credit with Carer’s Allowance.

If you’re reclaiming tax because you’ve flexibly accessed your pension pot you can:

  • use the online service (sign-in or set up a Government Gateway account)
  • fill in the form on-screen, print and post to HMRC
  • print form P50Z and fill it in by hand if you cannot use the on-screen form

This only applies if you have emptied your pension pot. If you’ve only used part of your pension pot, or if you’re working or getting benefits, you’ll need to use form P55 or form P53Z.

Send the postal forms to:

Pay As You Earn

HM Revenue and Customs


Related forms and guidance

Flexibly accessed pension payment: repayment claim (P55)
Use form P55 to reclaim an overpayment of tax when you have flexibly accessed your pension pot, but not emptied it.

Flexibly accessed pension lump sum: repayment claim (P53Z)
Use form P53Z to reclaim an overpayment of tax when you have emptied your pension pot, but are working or receiving benefits.

Claiming a tax refund when you stop work
Guidance on how to claim if you’re entitled to a refund if you stop working, retire or return to studying.

Source: HMRC

Posted in Uncategorized and tagged .