Form: Alcohol duties: application for a licence as a wine or made-wine producer or commercial grower (WMW1)

Updated: The online form service has been updated to include an attachment function.

You can either:

  • use the online form service (sign in to, or set up a Government Gateway account)
  • fill in the form on-screen, print and post it to HM Revenue and Customs

If you use the online form, you’ll get a reference number that you can use to track the progress of your form.

Form WMW1 should be used to apply for a licence where you’re:

  • intending to produce wine or made-wine for sale
  • a commercial grower wishing to receive wine, produced by a licensed producer for you, in duty suspense

Producers: what to include

You must submit a detailed site plan in addition to form WMW1 showing:

  • the position and description of the rooms, vessels, plant or equipment you intend to use in the production of wine or made-wine
  • where the wine or made-wine is to be stored

You can submit your detailed site plan by attaching it to the online form. The plan should be no more than 5MB in PDF or JPEG format.

Alternatively, you can submit your application and site plan by post to:

HM Revenue and Customs

Excise Processing Teams


Commercial growers: what to include

You only have to include a plan of where the wine is to be stored.

Before you start using the postal form

If you’re using the postal form and your browser is an older one, for example, Internet Explorer 8, you’ll need to update it or use a different browser. Find out more about browsers.

You’ll need to fill in the form fully before you can print it. You can’t save a partly completed form so gather all your information together before you start to fill it in.

Excise Notice 163: wine production

Source: HMRC

Posted in Uncategorized and tagged .