Detailed guide: HMRC subject access request

Updated: The address to send the subject access request has been updated.


You have the right to get a copy of the information that is held about you. This is known as a subject access request (SAR) and you can make a request to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) under the Data Protection Act.

Make a SAR for National Insurance records

You can make a SAR for information about your National Insurance records from the 1975 to 1976 tax year onwards, it isn’t a statement of your National Insurance contributions but it includes:

  • personal details
  • employers names
  • National Insurance payments
  • details of benefits claimed

If you’re applying through a solicitor or tax agent for a SAR, you’ll need to complete the HMRC consent form, this authorises HMRC to release information directly to them. They’ll include your consent with your application.

How to get your requests

You can apply for a SAR online, unless you’re using a third party.

You can also apply in writing, to confirm your identity you’ll need to provide your:

  • full name
  • National Insurance number
  • date of birth
  • address history for the last 5 years
  • original signature (not required for online and email requests)

and the:

  • years you require the information for
  • reason you require the information

Send your request to:


Room BP8003

HM Revenue and Customs

National Insurance Contributions Office


Applying for SAR on behalf of someone who has died

You can apply to get the information of someone who’s died to settle National Insurance or Income Tax if you’re legally entitled to do so on behalf of their estate.

Source: HMRC

Posted in Uncategorized and tagged .