National Statistics: Background Quality Report: Capital Gains Tax (CGT) Statistics

Updated: Updated report.

These tables together with the accompanying commentary provide information on liable CGT tax payers using information from Self Assessment (SA) returns. CGT is charged on capital gains realised on the disposal of assets where the capital gain is broadly the difference between the disposal proceeds and the cost of acquiring the asset. The gain which is chargeable to tax is the gain described but reduced by reliefs, allowable losses and an annual exempt amount.

Source: HMRC

Detailed guide: Pay the tax you owe on a capital gain straight away

Updated: Guidance on how to pay by cheque has been updated.

Before you can pay what you owe

You’ll have to work out how much tax you need to pay on your capital gain and report the amount to HMRC using the Report Capital Gains Tax online service before you can pay the tax you owe.

You’ll also need the payment reference number that HMRC sent you when you reported your gain.

When to pay what you owe

You can pay the tax you owe as soon as HMRC have sent you your payment reference number.

The deadline for paying is the next 31 January after the end of the tax year you made a gain in. For example, if you made a gain between 6 April 2016 and 5 April 2017 the deadline to pay the tax due will be 31 January 2018.

You may be charged interest and have to pay a penalty if your payment is late.

How much time to allow for your payment to reach HMRC

The time you need to allow for payments to reach HMRC depends on how you pay.

Payment method Time to allow
Online or telephone banking (Faster Payments) Same or next day
CHAPS Same or next day
Bacs 3 working days
Post 3 working days (or longer if you’re posting from overseas)

Make sure your payment reaches HMRC on the last working day before 31 January if it’s on a weekend (unless you’re paying by Faster Payments).

Ways to pay what you owe

You can pay the tax due on your capital gain by:

  • cheque
  • Faster Payments
  • Bacs

Check your bank’s transaction limits and processing times before paying.

Pay by Faster Payments, online or telephone banking, CHAPS or Bacs

The bank details you’ll need are:

Sort code Account number Account name
08 32 10 12001020 HMRC Shipley

Pay by cheque

Post a cheque made payable to ‘HM Revenue and Customs only’ followed by your payment reference number to:

HM Revenue and Customs



You do not need to include a street name, city name or PO box with this address.

If you have a reply envelope showing a different address (HM Revenue and Customs, Bradford, BD98 1YY), you can still use it to post your cheque.

If you’re sending a cheque for more than one disposal then note each payment reference against the amount.

Do not fold the cheque or fasten it to other papers.

Source: HMRC

Detailed guide: Climate change agreements: information to report to HMRC

Updated: The ‘How to report section’ has been updated.

If you hold a Climate Change Agreement (CCA) and your company receives more than €500,000 a year in state aid you need to report certain details to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

Information you need to report

You need to send the following details to HMRC:

  • your company name and address
  • your company VAT number
  • whether your company is a micro company, small or medium-sized enterprise or large company
  • the main activity for which you receive the aid (using the Eurostat Nomenclature of Economic Activities (NACE) codes revision 2)
  • the region in which your company is based using the Eurostat Nomenclature of Territorial Units (NUTS) at NUTS level 2 (EU regions)
  • the total number of target units and facilities
  • the amount of aid (in pounds sterling) your company has received
  • the start date of the reporting period

Why you need to report

HMRC will give the information to the European Commission who will publish the information each year on their website.

When to report

You need to give the details at the end of each reporting period.

The first reporting period is from 1 July 2016 to 31 March 2017.

All other reporting periods will run from 1 April to 31 March.

How to report

A new form will be available for you to report from 1 April 2017. You will need to request a reporting form from HMRC and this will be sent to you by either email or post on or around 20 March 2017 for return by 31 May 2017.

Source: HMRC

Detailed guide: Alcohol Wholesaler Registration Scheme: register as an alcohol wholesaler or producer

Updated: Information has been added on how to make changes to an application.


If you sell alcohol to another business you may need to apply to register for the Alcohol Wholesaler Registration Scheme (AWRS).

Make sure you’ve read the AWRS guidance before you apply.

Agents can’t use the AWRS service to apply on behalf of their clients.

How to access the service

You must have a valid Government Gateway User ID and password.

If you’re a…. the User ID and password you should use is…
limited company or partnership for an organisation
self employed or sole trader for an individual

If you don’t have an account you’ll need to create a Government Gateway account.

To verify your business details we’ll try to match them to an HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) record that holds your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR).

This will be your:

Before you start

Make sure you have all the information you’ll need before you begin to apply online. As well as the relevant UTR and your Government Gateway details, you may need the following information:

  • your VAT number and company registration number (if you have one)
  • the addresses of your additional trading premises
  • for UK residents – the names and National Insurance numbers of all business directors, company secretaries or partners
  • for non-UK residents – the names and passport numbers of all business directors, company secretaries or partners
  • the names, addresses and VAT registration numbers of up to 5 of your largest alcohol suppliers, by volume (if you have suppliers)

You might also have to tell us about:

  • the products you sell
  • the types of customer you have
  • how you take orders

What happens after you apply to register

Businesses already trading as alcohol wholesalers before 1 April 2016

You’ll get an acknowledgement with a reference number for your application. This is not your AWRS Unique Reference Number (URN).

You can continue to trade until you’ve been given HMRC’s decision.

Businesses starting to trade as alcohol wholesalers from 1 April 2016

You must apply giving notice of at least 45 calendar days. This will allow HMRC to process your application and undertake the fit and proper test (details are in part 6.10 of Excise Notice 2002). You’ll get an acknowledgement with a reference number of your application.

You can’t trade in alcohol wholesaling until you get approval.

For all applicants we may need to contact you in writing, by telephone, or you may get a pre-approval visit from us to assist in the processing of your application.

There’s no need to phone HMRC to check the progress of your application. You can check online.

Once a decision has been made you’ll get an email telling you to check online. If you’ve been approved you’ll see your URN which you should make a note of.

A URN is made up of 4 letters and 11 numbers, for example, XXAW00000123456.

Registered wholesalers need to include the URN on wholesale sales invoices from 1 April 2017.

How to make changes to your application

You’ll need to use the same Government Gateway username and password that you used to make your initial application. You can then view the status of your request or make amendments.

If your application is being processed

You can make any changes or correct errors in the information you supplied. You should do this as soon as possible by signing into the service and following the instructions for ‘making changes’.

If you’ve been approved by HMRC and been given your AWRS URN

You’ll need to tell HMRC about any changes to your details as soon as possible.

HMRC must be notified of some changes no later than 14 days from the date of change, including changes to:

  • partners
  • directors
  • your phone number
  • your email address
  • your trading name
  • your VAT number

Tell HMRC about any change of address for your principal place of business or to any of your trading premises before you use the new premises.

Paragraph 10.4 of Excise Notice 2002 has a full list of changes and the circumstances where you need to immediately inform HMRC.

Sign into the service to make changes to your application.

How to cancel or withdraw your approval

If your AWRS application has been approved by HMRC but you decide to cancel it, you must let us know at least 30 days before the date you intend to stop trading in alcohol.

You should make arrangements to dispose of any wholesale alcohol stock before this date.

If your application hasn’t been approved you can withdraw an application where you’ve, for example:

  • applied in error
  • signed up as the wrong business type
  • decided not to trade

Sign in to the service to cancel or withdraw your AWRS approval.


Criminal and civil sanctions have been introduced for both wholesalers and trade buyers found buying alcohol from non-approved wholesalers.

Penalties for:

  • wholesalers trading without having submitted their application to HMRC came into force from 1 April 2016
  • trade buyers who buy alcohol from unapproved wholesalers came into force from 1 April 2017

Any alcohol found on the premises of unapproved businesses may be seized, whether or not the duty has been paid.

Businesses will have a similar right to review and appeal as they do for other HMRC regimes for any civil penalties raised, or decisions related to their approval.

Problems with the service

This is a beta registration service. Check if there are any current problems with the service, or times it won’t be available.

If you get an error message when registering for AWRS make sure the information you’ve entered is correct.

If you still get an error message use the ‘get help with this page’ link at the bottom of the AWRS screen to report what’s happened.

Further information

Read the AWRS guide for more information about:

  • who needs to apply
  • exclusions to the scheme
  • what happens after registration

Source: HMRC

Policy paper: HMRC records management and retention and disposal policy

Updated: Policy updated with an expanded section 1 (‘Scope’), and new section added (4.3, ‘Line of Business Appraisal Reports’)

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is committed to the efficient management of our records:

  • for the effective delivery of our services
  • to document our principle activities
  • to maintain the corporate memory

The principles outlined in this policy have been developed to provide a consistent approach to managing records throughout their lifecycle and regardless of their format. This policy also applies to records that third parties manage on behalf of HMRC.

Source: HMRC